NOTE: Answers to all questions are given at the end of this exercise.
Question No. 1:
Evaluate the following expressing your answers in the simplest form:
(a) 3 1/2 x 4 4/5 x 5/14
(b) 5 1/4 ÷ 2 4/5 ÷ 1 7/9
(c) 3 1/9 x 3 3/5 ÷ 2 1/10
Question No. 2:
A school has 6 3/4 kg of detergent in stock. During the “Use Your Hands” campaign, each class will be given 3/8 kg of detergent. There are 28 classes in the school.
(a) What fraction of the school will be supplied with the detergent in stock?
(b) How much detergent will be required altogether for the whole school?
(c) How much more detergent does the school need to order?
(d) If the school gives out the detergent in stock to the 15 lower secondary classes first,
- How much detergent will be given out;
- How much detergent in stock will be left?
Question No. 3:
- Last year Peter spent a total of 8 1/6 hours on community service. Visits to old folks’ homes made up 4/7 of the total visiting old folks’ homes?
- This year Peter plans to spend 1 1/5 of his time soent last year on community service.
- Find the time he will spent on community service.
- How much more time will he spend this tear than last year?
Question No. 4:
Five boys Alan, Ben, Chris, Den and English share a sum of money
Alan takes 1/5 of the sum of money.
After Alan has taken his share, Ben takes 1/3 of the remaining money.
After Ben has taken his share, Chris takes 1/4 of the remaining money.
After Chris has taken his share, Den takes 1/7 of the remaining money.
After Den has taken his share, English takes all the remaining money.
(from left to right)